Hustle your holiday s(elf) down to the floor and let’s plank it out.
The plank is one of the best exercises for core conditioning but it also works your glutes and hamstrings, supports proper posture, and improves balance.
Today we’re doing a Plank Triple Shot. Enjoy!
- Alternating Reach Plank – 30 seconds
- Side Plank Touch – 15 each side
- Spiderman climbers – 30 seconds
You can do it 1, 2 or even 3 rounds. If you have any wrist sensitivity, stick with 1 round.
Alternating Reach Plank
- Start in a high or low plank
- Press your feet, knees, and thighs together
- Draw your shoulders down away from your ears and engage your shoulder blades so they are slightly pulling toward each other
- Lift your belly up nice and tight
- Drop your tush a bit but keep a nice long spine
- From this position extend your left arm straight out (palm facing in) and reach
- Replace your arm under you and extend and reach with the opposite arm
- Alternate reaching for 30 seconds
- When you extend your arm, keep your hand and arm at or below shoulder height.
- Don’t “throw” your arm out to the extension, think slowly lifting and reaching
Side Plank Touch
- Start on your left side in a side plank position with your right elbow below your shoulder and your body in a straight line from head to heels
- Without letting your hips sag, twist your torso as you bring your right elbow towards your left elbow
- Return to start
- Repeat for 15 repetitions on one side then switch to your other side.
To take this down to a Level 1 you can try the following:
- Drop your knee to the ground and support your body weight
- Hold a side plank without the twist
- Start in a high plank (hands under shoulders, legs extended, feet hip-width apart, back straight, abs engaged).
- Lift your right foot off the ground, and bring your knee to the outside of your right elbow, squeezing your right obliques.
- Press leg back to start position.
- Repeat with opposite leg.
- Alternate for 30 seconds.
Now go run!