I’ve learned that I can’t only run, or only do the Peloton, or only lift weights. My body (especially as I scream towards my mid 50’s) is happiest when I incorporate a variety of exercises. When I settle on a race for the Spring I’ll make some adjustments, but for now, this schedule is working.
- Running – I run 2, sometimes 3 miles on Tuesday and Thursday mornings before I teach Zoom classes. On Sunday I’ll head out to a trail for a 4 mile run.
- Peloton – I hop on the bike on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and sometimes Saturdays for 20 or 30 minute rides. Some days it’s ‘in the saddle low intensity’, other times it’s a Cody Pop Ride. If you know, you know.
- Weight Lifting- I follow a program on Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays. It was created by the trainers at Constantly Varied Gear. It’s strength training, weight lifting, METCONS, and Olympic work. Lifting heavy shit safely is encouraged and I love it. The workouts are about 45 minutes long but if I’m short on time I’ll do the warm up and the strength component.
- Walking or Hiking – Sometimes you want to move, but not move too much. You know? I log on to a podcast and walk 1, 2 or even 3 miles. If I choose to go for a walk instead of a run, I’ll head over to one of the local trailheads.
I enjoy these types of workouts and they move me closer to my goals. If this type of training sounds horrible, there are a plethora of options that you can take advantage of from the comfort of your home. I only have one, no, TWO caveats when you’re looking for an at-home or streaming program.
- If you are a female over the age of 30 – incorporate strength training and or weight lifting into your fitness routine.
- Make sure any trainer has the education and experience to know about programming, how the body moves, how to address and work with muscular imbalances, can address injuries and modifications, etc. DO NOT follow a program just because an “influencer” is promoting it. (While I’m on my soapbox. If you see someone showing their “transformation” and tells you to “DM me to learn how you can get the same results”, it’s an MLM. Run. )
Remember, the body is a beautiful machine that needs to move. So find a way to move, even if it’s only for 5-10 minutes, every single, stinking day.
Now go run!