I have listened to a certain podcast for a while. I like the guests they have on the show but sometimes their advice is horrible. And while I’m no expert in everything, I have some experience and tips that you may find useful.
So in honor of their bad advice, here are three common issues and a few simple steps you can take to help you work through them. In no particular order.
How to Get Out of a Running Rut
- Schedule a 5K race that will occur in 45-60 days. If you’re in a rut you need to be pulled out of it and having a race on the calendar that you’ve paid for is a great way to bust out of it.
- Join a running group, club, or grab a friend or two and form your own.
- Sign up for a race and raise money for a charity. It’s the best win-win I know.
How to Carve out Time to Exercise
- Stop overthinking it. Stop worrying about it. You do have time. To start, get up 30-45 minutes earlier and do something; a walk in the neighborhood, a yoga series online, a 10 -20 minute HIIT circuit, get to the gym, etc. Once you start making time you’ll find you have more time to do it.
- Hit a class after work. Better yet, make a date with a pal to meet at the Y and do a class. Yes, you’re tired after work, I get it. But going home isn’t going to make you less tired. It’s not like you’re going home at 6:30pm and going to bed, right?
How to Eat Better
Immediately increase the amount of fruits and veggies you eat. For 2 reasons.
- Adding good things will crowd out less healthy things and you won’t have room for it. It’s a volume thing. Studies show that you eat the same amount (in weight) of food on any given day. Eating 2 cups of grapes vs. a 1/4 cup of raisins yields the same number of calories but you’ll feel fuller with the grapes.
- Fruits and vegetables are nutritional superstars and provide numerous health benefits. You can google it to be sure (or save yourself some time because I’m right). And please, don’t even start with the “fruit has sugar and is fattening” argument. I just can’t deal with that one.
Wow, this advice thing is pretty easy! Hope you gained some valuable tips.
Now go run!