Here is your Core Challenge Workout for today:
- Large Flutter (15 repetitions)
- Plank (45 seconds)
Perform this sequence 2 times through
How To Do the Exercises
- Lay on your back and place your hands behind your head with your legs straight on the ground
- Keeping your knees, legs and ankles together, lift your feet straight up in the air
- With an open chest and your elbows out wide, lift your shoulders off the ground about 3 inches
- Keeping your legs together, slowly lower your legs until you feel the “bite” in your abs (the bite is where you feel tension in your abs but you can still keep your back against the ground – this spot will vary depending on your abdominal strength)
- From this position you will point your toes away from you and keeping your left foot in the air, slowly drop your right leg down to the ground
- Ggently touch your heel to the ground and then bring that leg back up to meet the one still in the air.
- Now keep your right leg in the air and take the left foot and slowly drop it to the ground and gently touch your heel and bring it back up to meet the right leg. That’s one count. Repeat on both legs for a total of 15.
- Hold yourself in the “up” position of a pushup, hands under our slightly in front of your shoulders, fingers spread, apart, pointing forward
- Press your feet, knees and thighs together
- Draw your shoulders down away from your ears and engage your shoulder blades so they are slightly pulling toward each other
- Lift your belly up nice and tight, pulling your belly button toward your spine
- Drop your tush a bit keeping a nice long spine
- Focus on your belly button, pulling it up towards your spine
Modifications for the Plank:
1. For those with wrist troubles, drop down to your forearms. Please be sure to keep your tush lifted and think about lengthening your spine.
2. Get on all fours and alternate lifting your left arm straight out and lifting your right leg and pressing it straight behind you. Please keep your neck in neutral (lengthen your spine up to the base of your head and let your eyes gaze softly down to the ground.
- Lay face down on the ground, legs and arms straight
- Squeezing your body tightly, lift your arms and legs at the same time and slightly hold at the top for a 1 count
- Return your arms and legs softly to the ground
Form Notes: Keep your neck in neutral by looking down at the ground and think about keeping your neck nice and long.
Notice how you are carrying yourself taller. Notice how the plank is starting to get a bit easier. Keep up the good work!
Now go run!