Raise your hand if you’ve panic-shopped in the past 14 days? Same.
So one of the ironies of *this* whole thing is that when I went shopping I was looking to purchase the things that I normally buy. Being plant-based I always have dried and canned beans, oats, pastas, rices, frozen veggies, nut milks, etc. on my list. Imagine my surprise when I got to the store and those essential pantry items were gone. Like, empty shelves.
Harrumph. So now everyone is vegan?
Luckily, there were plenty of fresh fruits and veggies available (except sweet and russet potatoes) so I added those liberally to my cart. Citrus is in season and I loaded up on that because I love ruby red grapefruits and CaraCara oranges!
There have been a lot of “what should I buy” questions posted on various websites and on social media so I wanted to share my list. Now you might not be able to get all of the stuff you want, but keep it on your list for next time.
And remember, there’s plenty of food available so please don’t hoard.
- Dried and canned beans and legumes (red, black, garbanzo, pinto, lentils, split peas, etc.)
- Grains (farro, barley, polenta, rices, popcorn kernels, etc.)
- Pastas (any kind your family likes)
- Canned or jarred tomato products (whole, diced, sauces, paste, prepared sauces)
- Canned foods (chili, soup, veggies, etc.)
- Salsas, prepared sauces (tikka masala, etc.)
- Tortillas, breads, english muffins, etc.
- Olive oil, vinegars, hot sauces, etc.
- Cereal (cold, oats, etc.)
- Frozen fruits and veggies
- Non-dairy and dairy products and eggs if you eat them
- Hummus and guacamole, etc.
- Snacks, treats, etc.
- Frozen foods (pizzas, snacks, Boca Burgers, etc.)
- Fresh meat and poultry
- Fresh fruits and veggies
With food in your pantry, fridge and freezer you can weather any storm. And now that you have food on hand you are able to make soups, stews, roasted veggies, bowls, pasta bakes, etc. And even a frozen pizza or a Boca Burger is just fine! No judgement!
And let’s not forget our local restaurants that are offering curbside pick up.
Before I go let me share with you an amazing tomato sauce. You can use this as a pasta sauce, add it to a veggie soup, use it in place of water with a taco seasoning mix or even as a delicious tomato soup.
Basic Tomato Sauce
- 1 – 28 oz. can of whole tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 onion, cut in half
- 1 TB vegan butter
- 1 TB maple syrup
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a large saucepan, cook for 40 minutes
- Use an immersion blender or pour into a blender
- Blend until smooth
Be safe. Stay well.
Now go run!