Or, how to feed your family for about $2 per person.
This amazing tomato soup recipe is courtesy of The Engine 2 Cookbook. If you are interesting in tasty, healthy, and plant-strong recipes, I recommend you buy this cookbook! I bought mine on Amazon. (https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Cookbook-Lip-Smacking-Rib-Sticking-Body-Slimming/dp/1455591203).
Soul-Warming Tomato Soup
1 medium onion, chopped
3-5 cloves garlic
1 large bay leaf
2 – 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes
1 T maple syrup
3 slices 100% whole grain bread, torn into small pieces
2 c low-sodium veggie broth
1/4 t each of white and crushed black pepper
Chopped parsley for garnish
1. Sautee the onion and garlic and bay leaf in a soup pot on medium high heat for 5 minutes.
2. Turn up the heat and add the tomatoes, syrup, bread and broth.
3. Add the peppers, bring to a boil then turn to simmer.
4. Cook for 5 minutes (but I cooked mine longer)
5. Either blend with an immersion blender or ladle the soup into a blender** and blend to the consistency you like.
6. Return back to the soup pot and simmer about 10 minutes.
7. Garnish with parsley and serve with crusty bread for dipping.
**If you use a blender, only blend the hot soup a little at a time and vent the top or else you’ll have a hot explosion of tomato soup splattered on the kitchen walls, into your knife block, on the cat and on the front of your shirt.
Please let me know what you think of the recipe.
Now go run!