These rainy days have me feeling a certain kind of way. A little sluggish, a little blah, a little meh. Bleh. As we have settled into the cellar of Winter I sometimes find it more challenging to drag myself out into a dark and rainy morning to exercise.
If you are also having some difficulty with the weather and your exercise routine, here are a few tips to get you out to door.
- Decide your goals and revamp your plan as necessary. If you are not training for a race or event this is a great opportunity to work with a maintenance plan, which in plain terms is the bare minimum you need to do to keep your fitness level where it is. If you have races planned, suck it up buttercup and get your tush out on the roads.
- Have a Plan B. I don’t mind running in the rain but if it’s storming, I’m not going outside. So my Plan B is a circuit of 4 or so exercises (cardio and strength) that I’ll repeat for 15 minutes. I’ll finish with some planks, some floor work and I’ll call it a job well done.
- Think happy thoughts. You may not feel good when you start exercising but I will bet you dollars to donuts that you will feel good when you are done. If you don’t, I owe you a dollar. Or a donut. But good luck with getting a donut.
- Implement the 10 minute rule. Promise yourself that you’ll do 10 minutes of whatever (running, walking, swimming, etc.) and if after 10 minutes you still want to stop you can. Odds are, you won’t stop but if you do, at least you got your heart rate up first.
- Keep it simple. If you are bummed about the weather and just can’t get ‘er done, do something completely different. Go for a swim, take Zumba, dance with your kids or just lay there in corpse pose and call it your yoga practice for the day.
The sun will come out. If not tomorrow, soon. And then we’ll be complaining about the heat!
Now go run!