I love running on trails, it’s a lovely break from my weekday neighborhood runs. This past Sunday I had an opportunity to run at one of my favorite places, Phoenix Lake in Ross.
It’s one of the few places that I know there will be other runners, walkers or bikers out there so I feel safe running solo. I turned off my music and enjoyed nature and was perfectly content with my thoughts.
Here are some of my musings from my run.
1. Mountain bikers talk about a lot of odd things. One nugget I gleaned from a set of bikers was that Welch’s grape juice was created by a dentist in the 1800’s. (I googled it and sadly the bikers were wrong, it was invented by a minister who disapproved of alcohol. But I’m sure it was a lively biking conversation for a few more minutes)
2. Speaking of mountain bikers, it looks a lot harder to pedal up a steep hill than it feels to run one.
3. Runners should smile more. Here we are on this gorgeous trail and there were not very many happy runners.
4. The trails are quiet at 7:15am on a Sunday morning.
5. People who run with dogs should make sure a) the dog can keep up with them and b) that they can keep up with their dogs.
6. Speaking of dogs, please pick up the poop when you run/walk or hike with your canine companion.
7. If you are not comfortable running alone, find a group and stay about 50 feet back. You’ll look like you’re with them but just a slower runner.
8. If it’s sunny out, wear a hat or sunglasses or both.
9. I did not know that there were houses on the ridge above Phoenix Lake. The lesson being that I should stop and admire the beauty more often.
10. I love to run.
Now go run!